Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Tender Heart

This past weekend, we made a trip to the Valley for Chris' Aunt Martha's funeral. She passed away last week after 4 years of cancer. She was definitely someone who kept our lives very interesting, and we are so glad to have known her. One memory that will always stay with me, is that of Grandma Anita being the last to leave the funeral home at the side of her daughter's casket. Chris said, "It's one thing to lose your husband, but something else altogether to lose your child."

We made lots of memories on this trip, too. The kids loved the hotel, and they all loved jumping on the beds and playing together the whole weekend. We (I) also locked the keys in the van before the funeral, and we had to wait forever for the Progressive guy to come and unlock it; but it was free! One thing that I will never forget, though, is something that happened with my son while we were waiting for the key-guy to get there.

I had given the kids a snack to help keep them in one place while we waited for the van to get fixed. I told Evan to eat only one snack at a time, and he insisted on eating 3. Without a fuss, I simply took the snacks away and said, "Ok, just go have a seat over there while we wait on the van. Since you didn't listen well, we'll just stop having snacks right now." He immediately starts crying as he sits down. A few minutes before the snack, he had seen some ants (1) on the ground and had stood up to eat his snacks. When I asked him to sit down, he immediately said, "Do you want the ants to bite me?," as he's got this terrible look on his face and is crying. Talk about feeling like a terrible mother. To see the way a child looks at the world is very eye-opening sometimes. I felt so sad that he really thought that his punishment would be to sit there and let the ants bite him; and he is so sweet that he was going to let it happen. That boy really does love us and does such a good job trying to please us, and I hope that I am living up to his expectations. 

No comments: